These coconut candies are high in protein and low in carbohydrates. This recipe is great for athletes, as well as those who prefer keto and vegetarian options if to replace dairy ingredients with coconut or any other plant-based milk.
Nutritional value (per 100 g):
Caloric content – 306 kcal
Protein – 11 g
Fat – 24 g
Carbohydrates – 11 g
Total weight of sweets – 480 g
Sweetener – Prebiosweet Fiber (1 g sweetener is equivalent to 10 g sugar)
Milk – 250 g
Protein (whey isolate) – 20 g
Powdered milk – 20 g
Sweetener – 6 g
Coconut flakes – 100 g
Sugar-free chocolate 72% – 100 g
Coconut oil – 25 g
- For the coconut filling, we need milk, you can also take coconut. Add coconut flakes, milk powder, sweetener, and protein to it. I have whey isolate, other types of protein may give different results. Mix all ingredients thoroughly with a blender. It turns out a mushy mass.
- Transfer the mass to a stewpan with a thick bottom and boil over low heat until slightly thickened. Stir thoroughly during cooking. The mass should not boil, otherwise, the protein may curdle. We need to ensure that there is no free liquid left in the saucepan – at this moment you can remove it from the heat. It turns out a thick, loose mass. Let it cool down.
- Let’s prepare the form. I have this rectangular glass mold, the silicone one will be even more convenient. We line the bottom and walls with cling film. Mix the coconut mass. We level with a spatula, cover with cling film and send to the freezer for 2-3 hours.
- To cover, we need 100 grams of sugar-free chocolate. In general, no more than 50 grams will remain on the sweets, but for convenience, it is better to take more. We put the chocolate in a water bath with hot, but not boiling water, and melt it, stirring occasionally. When the chocolate is completely melted, add the coconut oil to it and stir thoroughly until fully combined. The result is a liquid, smooth glaze.
- When the mass has frozen well, we take it out of the freezer, open the cling film. Remove the coconut layer from the mold. For easy access, you can either let it stand for 10 minutes after the freezer or place the dish in warm water to thaw the bottom a little. Cut into pieces. The frozen mass is not very easy to cut, but it is easier to dip it in the glaze.
- It is very convenient to use a spoon and fork to cover the candies with icing. With the help of a spoon, I roll the candy, then transfer it to a fork, the excess icing flows down.
- Spread the sweets on a smooth surface. The icing freezes on frozen candies instantly.
- The remaining frosting can be mixed with warm milk (1: 1) to create a cake frosting that is suitable for drips. Or add to warm cocoa (1-2 teaspoons each) – you get hot chocolate.