A little bit of history
The Urbech recipe was invented in the 17th century in Dagestan. Originally, the paste was made from flaxseeds. They were carefully ground with stone millstones and tamped into small containers. A jar of Urbech replaced the highlanders with a full-fledged lunch during the campaigns. The nutrient mixture provided energy and strengthened the body. In everyday life, Urbech was eaten with butter and honey. It turned out to be a nutritious dish rich in vitamins.
How is it different from nut butter?
Urbech is a Russian name. In other countries, the same product may be called paste or butter. Some types of urbech have their own name abroad: for example, sesame – tahini, coconut – manna. Whatever the name, you need to carefully read the composition.
In ex-Soviet Union, paste and urbech are different products. The difference is as follows:
- Composition. Urbech is prepared from fresh nuts or seeds, there are no other components in it. Cocoa, vegetable oils, sugar, and other ingredients are usually added to pastes.
- “Purity”. Urbech is a living product. It contains no dyes, flavor enhancers, flavorings, preservatives. Pastes cannot boast of this.
- Sugar. Even honey or other sweeteners are not added to classic urbech.
- Benefit. The body absorbs crushed nuts and seeds better. This is the most useful product. Nut butter tastes good, but the body is not happy with them.
- Taste. Here for an amateur. Urbech has an astringent, sometimes slightly bitter taste. The same as the nuts themselves. The pastes are sweet and creamy.
Useful properties and harm
Stone millstones grind the components of the urbech to a paste without heating. Therefore, all useful properties are preserved in them. At the same time, your body assimilates Urbech better than whole nuts and seeds. Each type of nutritious pasta is useful in its own way and is somewhat unique. However, 10 properties are the same for all types of Urbech:
- strengthens the immune system;
- helps to restore strength after physical exertion;
- fills the body with energy;
- the paste is rich in fiber, so it has a beneficial effect on digestion;
- contains antioxidants that promote cell regeneration;
- strengthens the cardiovascular system, because urbech is rich in useful fatty acids;
- when used in moderation, promotes weight loss;
- strengthens bones and teeth;
- maintains youthfulness of the skin, as well as the beauty and density of hair;
- useful for overwork improves the state of the nervous system.
Urbech will harm you if you are intolerant of individual components. Nuts and seeds are powerful allergens and should be used with caution. You should not lean on Urbech with exacerbation of problems with the gastrointestinal tract. Overdosing on the product can cause bloating or constipation.
The benefits of urbech for diabetics
Nut paste has a property for which diabetics love it – it’s a low GI. Due to its high-fat content, urbech eaten with high GI foods helps to slow down the absorption of carbohydrates and reduce the postprandial peak.
Types of Urbech
The recipe for the classic Urbech from Dagestan contains only flax seeds. But today, the assortment of thick nutritious paste is much more interesting. We have selected the 10 most popular types of Urbech. Each of them has all the useful properties described above. We’ll add some unique ones to them.
- Peanut. Improves blood condition, ensures long saturation.
- White or brown linen. Help with coughs, good for the pancreas.
- From black or white sesame seeds. Strengthens bones and teeth cleanse the body.
- From sunflower seeds. Such urbech is especially useful for women’s health, joints, and thyroid gland.
- Poppy. Removes toxins, relieves fatigue, eliminates parasites.
- Hemp. The taste is not for everybody, but this is one of the most useful urbeches, which strengthens blood vessels and is a means for the prevention of infectious diseases.
- Pumpkin. Good for men’s health kills parasites, strengthens joints.
- From apricot kernels. It is taken for the prevention of cancer, urbech improves the functioning of the nervous system.
- Almond. Helps the body build new cells, is useful for physical exertion.
- Cedar. The most useful Urbech for vegetarians, as the body assimilates almost 100% of its protein.
How and how much to eat
The calorie content of Urbech depends on its type, but on average – at least 500 kcal per 100 grams. The consumption rate is 1-2 tablespoons per day. For the prevention of diseases, you can have a snack with urbech in its pure form. But it’s more interesting to add it to the usual products:
- dip fruits in urbech;
- stir with yogurt or cottage cheese;
- add to porridge;
- spread on a loaf or loaf;
- make homemade healthy sweets;
- make a sauce or salad dressing;
- spread on pancakes;
- Make a protein shake with milk and banana;
- try with cheese or fresh vegetables;
- mix with honey.
Urbech is great for use in desserts. On its basis, you can prepare creams, impregnations for cakes, various fillings, and even ice cream. And nut paste feels great in tandem with salads, meat, chicken, and vegetables.
Ice cream with coconut urbech
Whisk 1 whole egg, 4 egg yolks, and 50 grams of sugar until thick foam. Heat 500 ml of milk, 200 ml of heavy cream, and 100 grams of coconut urbech over low heat until the urbech dissolves in liquid (do not boil). Pour the warm milk mixture in a thin stream into the egg and continue whisking. Pour into a mold, put in the freezer, after 1 hour removes, stir, and put into the freezer until it solidifies.
Salad with cedar urbech dressing
We start with dressing: mix 100 grams of urbech, 10 ml of lemon juice, 20 ml of soy sauce, and 2 tbsp. olive oil. Cut 1 ripe avocado and 150 grams of celery (stems) into small cubes. Tear 100 grams of iceberg lettuce leaves, add 200 grams of arugula, and place on the bottom of the salad bowl. Then add avocado, celery, 50 grams of black olives, and drizzle with the dressing.
Peanut Urbech and Fig Candies
Chop 150 grams of dried figs in a blender. Add 100 grams of urbech and stir. Form sweets from the resulting mass and roll them in coconut or cocoa.