- Vitamin A (beta-carotene). Antioxidant. In part, the onion owes its smell to him. The immune system owes its existence to him. Significantly affects vision and a number of indicators of the nervous system. Participates in the production of hormones, bone formation. Affects the quality and quantity of breast milk produced in women. Thanks to it, skin cells are renewed.
- Vitamin E (tocopherol). Its antioxidant properties help protect the body from harmful external influences. Takes part in the assimilation of proteins and fats. Strengthens the immune system. In the process of hematopoiesis, it helps to normalize clotting and accelerate healing processes. Thanks to him, the retina of the eyes is formed. Also, all systems of the body are updated, the parts of the brain that are responsible for memory are updated. It affects the functioning of the sex glands, its use is the prevention of infertility.
- Vitamin C (ascorbic acid). The famous antioxidant. Thanks to it, collagen is produced in the body (which means the renewal and formation of skin, bones, blood vessels, etc.). It has a beneficial effect on the immune system, takes a significant part in the redox processes of the body.
- Vitamin B1 (thiamine). Ensures the normal course of metabolism. Plays a significant role in the formation and renewal of the central nervous system. Without it, the normal transfer of genetic information between cells in the process of their reproduction is impossible.
- Vitamin B2 (riboflavin). Participates in the synthesis of nerve cells in the central and peripheral nervous systems. The process of hematopoiesis ensures the normal formation of red blood cells (carrying air bubbles). Without it, there is no function of the adrenal glands. Takes part in protecting the eyes from the effects of ultraviolet radiation. Has a beneficial effect on the formation of skin cells.
- Vitamin B9 (folic acid). It is important in the formation of the fetal neural tube, enhances female fertility, without it, human DNA is not formed. Promotes protein absorption.
- Vitamin PP (niacin, nicotinic acid). Normalizes cholesterol and blood sugar levels, is responsible for energy production. It is a prophylaxis and cure for diabetes mellitus, osteoarthritis.
The water content of the product is 86%. It contains a lot of carbohydrates (10.4 g), monosaccharides, and disaccharides. Much less protein, fiber, pectin, organic acids, and starch (but they are).
Trace elements (arranged in descending order of concentration):
Onions owe their striking properties for the prevention and treatment of viral diseases to the special substances containing in them, whose chemical nature has not been fully understood – phytoncides.
Calorie content. How many calories are in 100 g? product.
In 100 gr. yellow onion contains 41 kcal.
Benefits for men
The main beneficial effect for the stronger sex with regular use is a positive effect on potency. However, for those who go to the gym, it is not recommended to consume a lot of onions. It contains a lot of carbohydrates, and with sports nutrition, carbohydrates are enemy number one.
Benefits for women
In addition to being rich in folic acid, which is useful for the female reproductive system and which is recommended to be taken when planning a pregnancy, onions for women are interesting for the abundance of vitamin C.
Thanks to the latter, the onion hair mask is very popular. After it, the curls acquire a lively shine and become silkier, dandruff disappears and the growth of new hair accelerates.
Weight loss benefits
White or salad onions are found in most salads and lean dishes. This ingredient is designed to activate metabolism. Any onion contains a lot of carbohydrates. You should not get carried away with this product during a diet. In addition to bad breath, some drowsiness will appear and mucous membranes may become inflamed.
Benefits and harms during pregnancy
Eating onions for pregnant women and breastfeeding is prescribed with caution. The advantages of its use include:
- Fight against vitamin deficiency and strengthening the immune system. Onions restore the body’s need for vitamin C, PP, etc.
- Protection against colds (due to the high content of phytoncides), which pregnant women are most susceptible to.
- Beneficial effect on the formation of the neural tube of the fetus due to the content of folic acid.
- Elimination of such a problem of pregnant women as constipation.
The risk is that excessive consumption can lead to inflammation of the stomach lining, provoke the opening of ulcers, gastritis, and heartburn. For the same reason, the use of fresh onions is not recommended for children under three years old (thermally processed, it is possible from the eighth month of life).
Breastfeeding experts are wary of this product. It is capable of causing changes in the taste characteristics of milk, and babies are very sensitive to such changes.
Onions are a ubiquitous two-year-old crop from the lily family. Leaves and bulbs are valuable, the latter is more important from the point of view of medicine. Onions are widely used as antibacterial, diuretic, laxative, and appetite-enhancing agents.
Preparations based on it are highly effective for:
- healing wounds;
- paroxysmal cough;
- sore throat;
- runny nose;
- anemia and many other diseases.
Onion has received the widest application in the culinary business because it is used in the overwhelming majority of dishes, but numerous medicinal recipes based on it are found in ancient treatises found in all corners of the Earth. Onions are used to treat not only humans but also farm animals. Ancient people endowed the plant with supernatural power by weaving bulbs and dry leaves into amulets, today onions are often found in Slavic amulets. Let’s consider all the benefits of the plant from a scientific point of view.
The benefits of phytoncides
In 1928 prof. Tokin discovered phytoncides, which literally can be roughly translated as “plant killers”. Scientists have noticed that these substances have an inhibitory effect on bacteria comparable to antibiotics. Some healers say so – onions contain natural antibiotics and this statement is absolutely true. That is why the plant is effective for such ailments:
- diseases associated with dysfunction of the respiratory tract: rhinitis, tracheitis, bronchitis, catarrhal processes in the bronchial tree;
- diseases of the tonsils, tonsillitis, stomatitis, otitis media;
- abscesses and fungal diseases of the outer or inner epidermal layers;
- there is a positive trend in the treatment of tuberculosis and pneumonia.
Phytoncides are volatile – everyone knows how watery the eyes are when shredding a bulb. This property is used during influenza epidemics. As for disinfection, you should spread the halves of the bulbs in the room, or you can rub onion gruel into your hair, which will further strengthen the hair follicles.
Useful organic matter
The bulb contains a large amount of ascorbic acid (10 mg%), which is beneficial for the immune system, vitamin B1 (60 mg%), carotenes, from which vitamin A is then synthesized in the body, which is necessary for the defense mechanisms of the body and skin. In addition, there are:
- simple carbohydrates up to 10%;
- essential oils up to 0.05%;
- nitrogenous substances up to 2.5%;
- citric and malic acids;
- quercetin or its glycosides.
The benefits of onions
Let’s talk briefly about how useful onions are, because, with a detailed presentation, extensive material will be released, which will be quite enough for an entire book. If you eat onions every day without heat treatment, then the body’s resistance to respiratory infections will increase. The table shows the effects of onions on the human body.
- Colds, flu, SARS. Action: Strengthens the immune system, increases the body’s resistance thanks to vitamins and phytoncides.
- Diabetes. Action: Normalizes blood glucose levels (sulfur, phosphorus).
- Bronchial asthma. Action: Quercetin has an antihistamine effect and weakens bronchospasm – it becomes easier for the patient to breathe.
- Oral cavity. Action: The unpleasant smell that remains after eating a vegetable kills bacteria concentrated on the gums and teeth, which is the prevention of periodontal disease, caries, stomatitis.
- Nasopharynx. Action: Effective for rhinitis, inflammation of the nasopharynx, sore throat, tonsillitis.
- The cardiovascular system. Action: Potassium strengthens the myocardium and is needed for the operation of transmembrane pumps. Iron is part of the molecules of myo- and hemoglobin, the vitamin complex has a positive effect on vascular tone. The juice contains substances that cleanse the blood.
- CNS. Action: Potassium improves the conduction of nerve impulses due to the participation in the work of the potassium-sodium pump.
- Gastrointestinal tract. Action: Increases appetite, improves digestion, helps with constipation
Note. Persons suffering from chronic diseases of the stomach with high acidity should eat raw onions with extreme caution. Without consulting a doctor, you should not use it if you have problems with the nervous system, liver, kidneys. It is forbidden to use allergy sufferers with individual intolerance to any substance in the composition of onions.
Consider how to use onions, the beneficial properties of which are manifested from the method of intake.
Even the healers of ancient Rome advised men to eat onions because it gives strength and courage. Modern scientists have found that with daily use in hypertensive patients, blood pressure decreases, in men, the activity of the prostate gland and sperm production improves, and in women, onions are useful for menstrual disorders. Libido increases in both sexes.
Other health benefits of raw onions:
- enhances the secretion of gastric juices;
- normalizes intestinal tone, helps with atony;
- reduces cholesterol levels, effective in atherosclerosis and hypertension;
- enhances excretory processes in the kidneys during the formation of sand or stones;
- has an anthelmintic effect.
Freshly squeezed juice has found particular use in traditional medicine, which is used both in pure form and as part of various mixtures for the following purposes:
- as a sweatshop;
- with a runny nose;
- for cosmetic purposes: correction of skin pigmentation (freckles, birthmarks), acne, elimination of wrinkles (as part of a honey-wax mixture);
- with itching;
- with urolithiasis;
- to improve vision and treat eye ailments;
- when coughing;
- accelerates the healing of wounds and burns;
- for gargling, etc.
Onion gruel is useful for:
- strengthening and enhancing hair growth;
- healing wounds;
- catarrhal processes of the respiratory tract;
- sore throat;
- as an antiseptic.
Heat-treated onions will be useful in the following cases:
- diseases of the liver and biliary tract;
- diabetes mellitus;
- increases the secretion of urine;
- with uterine bleeding;
- from chest pain.
In folk medicine, not only onion is used, but its husk also has healing properties. The saturated solution is useful for hair loss, combating dandruff, accelerates the healing of wounds after frostbite or burns, and is effective in follicular maturation.
The note. The ancient Romans used a decoction of onion peels to strengthen blood vessels and increase their tone.
A decoction of the onion enhances the discharge of phlegm when coughing. Tincture of alcohol is useful for lowering cholesterol when cleaning blood vessels, flatulence, constipation, and urolithiasis. Onion flowers together with vegetable oil are used for pneumonia, bronchitis, and eczema.
Useful and medicinal properties of onions. Bulb onions: harm and contraindications. The only dangerous properties of onions can be attributed to the fact that onion tincture is contraindicated for patients with heart and liver problems. In cooking, it is very difficult to find a more versatile product than onions, the beneficial properties, and contraindications of which we remember today. Why are onions so useful?
Raw onions useful properties
Perennial bulbous plant of the lily family with a large flattened globular bulb covered with reddish, white, or purple coats. The leaves are fistulous, the stem is thick, up to 1 m in height, swollen. Onions bloom in June-August. The flowers are inconspicuous, on long pedicels, collected in globular umbrellas. Onions bear fruit in August-September.
The beneficial properties of onions have been known to mankind since ancient times. Onions are extremely useful vegetables for maintaining our beauty and health. It is rich in vitamins, it contains a lot of proteins, fats, mineral salts, organic acids, and sugars. Of the vitamins in onions, B1, B2, B6, E, PP are present in large quantities. And also vitamin C. It is enough to eat 100 grams daily. onions so that the body receives the right amount of vitamin C. Onions are rich in essential oils, which give this vegetable a characteristic pungent smell, in addition, onion essential oils have excellent antimicrobial and medicinal effects. Raw onions, how are they useful and what properties do they have?
Raw onions are an irreplaceable effective remedy for the prevention and treatment of diseases such as runny nose, sore throat, cough, and ARVI. Onion syrup will help with coughs. To prepare it, you need to take 100-150 gr. onions and cook for 5-10 minutes in 250 ml of water. The finished broth must be thoroughly filtered, add 5 tablespoons of sugar to it and cook over low heat until syrup is obtained. For the treatment of cough, you need to drink this syrup daily, 2-6 teaspoons. If there is an inflammation in the throat, it is helpful to chew a small number of fresh onions.
If you have respiratory viral diseases, flu, runny nose, it is useful to do inhalations based on onions. To do this, grate a fresh onion on a fine grater and breathe over the resulting gruel for as long as possible. You can wrap small pieces of fresh onion in clean gauze and tuck the resulting swabs into your nose for a more effective effect. It will be useful for colds to put chopped onions in socks in the heel area and put them on at night. Massage of the forehead with onion juice helps with headaches.
Raw onions. Fresh onion has an antiseptic effect, noticeably accelerates the healing process of various wounds and light burns. You can take the thin onion skin, which is located between the layers of the onion, and put it on the wound, covering it with gauze on top. This onion film reduces the likelihood of scar formation. Fresh onion quickly kills bacteria in the mouth and relieves toothache well; for this, it is enough to put a small piece of onion on top of a sore tooth. Onions relieve pain and itching caused by insect bites by rubbing a piece of fresh onion over the affected area.
Onions are also useful for internal organs and systems. It has a positive effect on heart activity, improving blood circulation and lowering cholesterol levels. In addition, onions strengthen the heart muscles, prevent coronary artery disease. With the help of onions, you can normalize high blood pressure, for this, you need to mix onion juice and honey in equal proportions, and take the resulting product a couple of teaspoons daily until the condition of the body improves. Eating fresh onions in their raw form has a beneficial effect on digestion, gastric juice is actively secreted, and appetite is aroused. In addition, onions have a diuretic effect, helping to remove unnecessary toxins and toxins from the body. Onions have a calming effect on the human nervous system.
Turkish doctors claim that the properties of onions are beneficially manifested in intimate life. Fresh onions have a tonic and stimulating effect on a person. At the same time, it is good to eat onions for both partners, it has an equally positive effect on both men and women. Moreover, onion extracts are much safer in effect and do not have any complications on the body than artificial drugs to increase potency. The effect of onions is manifested due to the strong effect of fresh onions on the mucous membranes during their use. If you are confused by the smell of onions, it is quite easy to eliminate them; for this, you need to rinse your mouth with cool water and chew a leaf of fresh parsley.
The positive effects of onions on men also lie in the fact that onions are excellent prevention of prostate cancer. Scientists from America have come to the conclusion that 10 grams are enough for a person. onions daily to cut your risk of getting the disease in half. Men are advised with adenoma and hypertrophy of the prostate to eat a small head of onion with bread and salt every day before going to bed or drink onion juice mixed with honey.
With all the useful qualities of raw onions, it is worth noting that it has very few contraindications for taking. For example, kidney stones, various diseases of the gastrointestinal tract. In addition to beneficial effects on the human body, onions are also remarkable for their cosmetic properties. There are many recipes in onion-based folk cosmetics that can help improve skin conditions. For example, a nourishing mask that suits all skin types. To prepare it, you need to mix the juice from a fresh onion with unsweetened honey in equal proportions and apply the resulting mixture on the skin of the face, leaving it for 15-20 minutes.
After the time has elapsed, remove the mask with a damp cloth and wipe the skin dry. After cleansing the skin from the mask, apply a light moisturizer.
If you have oily skin, onion gruel, lightly squeezed from the juice, should be mixed with lemon juice and applied to your face for half an hour. Onion has a whitening property, a mask based on it perfectly removes age spots and freckles. Therefore, if you want to get rid of them, wipe your face with a cut of the onion a couple of times a day. Another whitening mask recipe consists of onions and whipped protein mixed in equal parts. The mask from this mixture is washed off the skin with cold water. Onions remove acne well, for this they need to be lubricated with juice from a fresh onion 2-3 times a day. Onions can be used as a remedy for hair loss and dandruff. To do this, rub fresh juice from onions or onion gruel into the scalp, leave for one hour and then rinse your hair thoroughly.
Despite the many advantages, the onion also has some contraindications. For those who have increased stomach acidity, this vegetable is contraindicated.
This healthy vegetable product is indeed a storehouse of vitamins. It contains a huge amount of nutrients and trace elements necessary for humans. The volatile essential oils found in onions have powerful antiseptic properties. For example, to destroy harmful bacteria and infection in a room, it is enough to cut an onion or squeeze a spoonful of juice and leave it on a saucer.
- The iron in onions helps maintain immunity and prevents the development of anemia.
- Mineral salts normalize the body’s metabolism and participate in electrochemical processes.
- Potassium is needed to maintain muscle tone and normal cardiovascular function.
- Zinc is responsible for the functioning of cells, the condition of the liver, kidneys, skin, nails, and hair.
- Quercetin has potent antioxidant, vasodilatory, anti-inflammatory, and antitumor effects.
- Phosphorus improves bone tissue and teeth and is responsible for the functioning of the brain.
- Fluoride maintains healthy tooth enamel and is essential for bone formation.
- The rich composition of vitamins that are included in the onion ensures the normal functioning of the liver, thyroid gland, and increases the body’s defenses.
Why are onions so spicy?
The sharp smell of onions, causing tears when cutting this root vegetable, as well as its characteristic pungent bitter taste, is due to the high content of special essential oils with phytoncides. These compounds, which are highly volatile, boast powerful antimicrobial and antiviral properties and also play the role of antiseptics. It is enough to leave only one cut onion in the room to clear the air of pathogens dangerous to humans – viruses, infections, a microscopic fungus, bacteria.
Unfortunately, especially considering the beneficial qualities of onions, not all people can take them for food or for other purposes. Of course, the value of this vegetable is very high, but you need to understand that each person has his own characteristics. The generally recognized list of contraindications includes:
- Liver disease;
- High blood pressure – onions are dangerous for hypertension;
- Asthma – a harsh-smelling vegetable can cause another attack;
- Ulcers – corrosive essential oils provoke inflammation of the mucous membranes;
- Metabolic problems.
Fortunately, all of these caveats only apply to raw onions. While in boiled, fried, or stewed form, this bitter vegetable is absolutely harmless to any person, and at the same time, it retains many useful properties.
Not all types of onions are eaten. But also not all of its types are generally available to humans. A very large number of so-called “wild” varieties are known. You can’t buy them in the supermarket and you can pick them up in the garden. But they are often used to prepare meals in restaurants.
People who show different symptoms when using onions should know important things:
- It is important to know that the core and feathers no more than 10 cm from the bulb itself are useful in the vegetable. Eating feathers taller than 10 cm can cause drowsiness, stomach discomfort, nausea, and headache.
- In the case of liver and kidney diseases, the use of this product is strictly prohibited.
- If a person suffers from ulcers and other diseases of the intestinal tract, then the juices contained in onions can cause negative consequences for the body in the form of irritation. Also, this product can increase the acidity in the stomach.
- Onions can cause high blood pressure, so people with heart disease need to seriously monitor their diet.
- This vegetable can be the cause of bronchial asthma.
- As you can see, contraindications in the use of onions relate more to special cases. Therefore, it is very important that everyone knows about the reactions of their body to a particular product. Indeed, many, suffering from various diseases, most likely do not even realize that the most effective medicine can be around for a very long time.
The unpleasant smell of onions
A characteristic feature of eating onions is a persistent unpleasant odor from the mouth, which persists for several hours in a row. It is quite difficult to kill him by chewing gum or brushing his teeth.
Parsley or walnuts can almost completely get rid of the unpleasant onion smell, but only if they were eaten in relatively small quantities. Therefore, before an important meeting, it is recommended to refrain from eating a vegetable.
Bulb onions are grown by many summer residents and owners of backyard plots, the plant can be planted with seeds that are formed after flowering. Among the variety of varieties of onions, everyone can choose several for specific purposes – for storage, preparation of salads, spicy or sweet. The most common varieties are Aleko, Arzamassky, Zolotisty, Danilovsky, Timiryazevsky, Belozersky, Sturon, Kaba, Rostovsky, Spanish, Stuttgarten rizen.
Selection and storage of onions
When choosing onions, you need to pay attention to the dryness and integrity of the upper husk, the absence of dark spots, dents, and roots. Bulbs should be stored in a cool, shady place with good ventilation, checking periodically for softness. Good dry onions can retain their beneficial properties from fall to spring.