Pineapple is a fruit native to South America. Christopher Columbus delivered pineapples to Europe after one of his expeditions. They began to grow them on a large scale in Hawaii at the beginning of the 19th century. The development of the “pineapple” industry peaked in the 1950s, then gradually declined under pressure from international competition. Today, the bulk of the world’s pineapple harvest is in Thailand, the Philippines, and Brazil. Traditional pineapple uses include brewing and winemaking, as well as medicine.
Due to its rough and textured skin and a crown of spiky green leaves, pineapple does not seem to be a very attractive-looking fruit. But its flesh is delightfully tender and juicy, has a sweet taste and pleasant aroma. Although fresh pineapple is used in many diets, excessive consumption of this fruit can lead to unpleasant side effects.
The composition of pineapples: calories, trace elements, vitamins
Nutritionists call pineapples “champions” in burning excess fat and improving the functioning of the intestines, digestive system, and pancreas. These fruits are very often present in many diets when you need to lose weight and lose weight urgently.
Pineapples can also boast of the content of bromelain (a special enzyme complex) in its composition. Thanks to it, the rapid breakdown of proteins and fats occurs, which is why pineapples contribute to active weight loss. But bromelain is found only in fresh fruits, so when dieting, you need to use only fresh fruits. In canned sweet pieces this useful substance is no longer there. Therefore, nutritionists advise a simple “recipe” on how to keep fit: you need to drink food with freshly squeezed pineapple juice or eat a small piece of this fruit after eating.
In pineapples, there are enzymes – these are special substances that contribute to the better digestion of food. They rejuvenate the body, resist viruses, and inhibit the unfavorable growth of cancer cells.
These tropical fruits are a real “storehouse” of various minerals. They have many trace elements, for example:
Pineapples have a rich vitamin composition. They have provitamin A, vitamins of group B (in particular, B12, B2, and B1), vitamin C (ascorbic acid), and vitamin PP. There are many organic acids, alkaloids, beta-carotene, fiber, and dietary fiber in these tropical fruits.
Pineapples are a low-calorie product. 100 grams contains an average of 49 kilocalories. The yellow pulp is very sweet and juicy due to the fact that pineapples are 15 percent sugar and 86 percent water.
100 grams of sweet and juicy pulp contains:
- 0.4% of proteins;
- 0.7% citric acid;
- 0.4% – dietary fiber;
- 85.8 grams of water;
- 7.4 grams of carbohydrates;
- up to 50 milligrams – ascorbic acid (vitamin C)
- 20 grams of fat.
Also, as part of pineapples, scientists counted more than sixty different aromatic substances. Thanks to them, this tropical fruit has such a unique aroma.
Useful properties of pineapple
The beneficial properties of these tropical fruits are that they:
- help lower high blood pressure;
- contribute to the thinning of thickened blood;
- prevent the development of many dangerous diseases of the cardiovascular system, such as, for example, myocardial infarction, vascular thrombosis, atherosclerosis, stroke;
- give vitality and improve mood;
- contribute to quenching hunger;
- help remove excess fluid from the body;
- contribute to increased levels of serotonin in the blood;
- effective in diseases of the central nervous system;
- included in the complex for the treatment of arthritis;
- help in the treatment of infectious diseases.
Pineapples are effective in treating diseases of the respiratory system, in particular, pneumonia, tonsillitis, sinusitis, pyelonephritis, bronchitis – because it has anti-inflammatory properties.
Due to the high content of the bromelain enzyme, with the help of pineapples, you can “fight” infections and congestion in the urinary tract (calories). Bromelain also contributes to the more effective action of various antibiotics.
How to include pineapple in your daily diet
- Combine the diced canned, fresh, or dried pineapple with peeled shrimp, grated ginger, and a little olive oil. Season to taste and serve this fragrant salad on a bed of green salad.
- Pour the pineapple slices with maple syrup and fry until brown. Serve without garnish or with yogurt.
- Baked pineapple can be served with chicken breast and mushrooms.
- Sliced pineapple, grated dill, and cashew go well together. They are especially tasty, as a side dish for chicken.
- Pineapple is a great addition to fruit salads.
- Just drink fresh pineapple juice every day. The sweet taste of pineapple will be a pleasant addition to any meal.
Why is it good to eat pineapples?
Pineapples can be called “female” fruits. They are especially useful for women, as they help relieve pain during menstruation.
If you include pineapples in your diet a few days before the onset of menstruation, then you can almost completely avoid pain, or make them completely minimal.
Caribbean residents have been using pineapple juice for hundreds of years to improve the male potency.
Numerous scientific studies have shown that if a man regularly uses pineapples or drinks freshly squeezed juice from them, his sperm composition and quantity will improve many times over.
In order not to cause irritation of the intestinal mucosa in children, doctors do not recommend giving pineapples to children up to six years old.
Pineapple juice for children under six years old must be diluted with water.
Pregnant women need to be extremely careful with these tropical fruits. Especially with immature ones, as these fruits have abortive properties. This is due to the oversaturation of the pregnant woman’s body with bromelain, which can affect the increase in uterine tone.
Doctors do not advise pregnant women to drink pineapple juice, because it is not known for certain whether the juice was squeezed from ripe or green fruits.
Scientists argue that it is best to enjoy fresh pineapples because a canned product is just sweet. The enzyme substance bromelain is not stored in them, therefore, losing weight on a canned pineapple is pointless.
Fresh fruits have the most beneficial substances, and frozen fruits only partially retain their beneficial properties.
Canned product, like fresh, is also low in calories. 100 grams contains 57 kilocalories. Canned sweet rings are rich in provitamin A, ascorbic acid (vitamin C), iron, calcium, and B vitamins.
Canned pineapples are not the best treatment for pregnant and lactating women, children. Caution they need to eat and allergy sufferers.
When buying canned yellow lobules, you need to pay attention to the method of preservation. If the fruit was canned in its own juice, it is very healthy. It left a lot of vitamins, minerals. In this case, it will even contribute to weight loss.
If the sweet rings were canned in sugar syrup, such pineapples will be of little use. The treat will be very high in calories due to the high amount of sugar. In addition, citric acid is added to sugar syrup, which also does not contribute to the usefulness of such a product.
Canned pineapples perfectly satisfy hunger.
Dried pineapples are seven times the calorie content of fresh fruits. 100 grams contains 347 kilocalories. Compared to other dried fruits, dried pineapple slices are not as high in calories. Such dried fruit is the richest source of zinc, magnesium, potassium, iron, and B vitamins.
It has a lot of fiber, therefore, dried delicacy is useful for improving digestion. Modern medicine is recommended for people who want to quit smoking, feast on dried pineapples.
As the results of many practical studies confirm, these dried fruits reduce cravings for nicotine. But it is not recommended to abuse dried sweets, especially those who want to lose weight.
The benefits of pineapple juice
The chemical composition of pineapple juice includes 16 trace elements and the bromelain enzyme, therefore, this natural product burns fats and breaks down proteins.
- Pineapple juice stimulates the digestive process, activating the enzymatic activity of gastric juice.
- Pineapple juice is low-calorie, ideal for weight loss.
- Due to its high content of ascorbic acid (vitamin C), this drink is good medicine for colds.
- A glass of juice nourishes the weakened body with vitamins and minerals. For the same reason, it is useful for anemia.
- In addition, pineapple juice helps to normalize the liver and kidneys.
- Such a drink with hypertension is highly recommended. It reduces high blood pressure, dilutes the blood, and cleanses blood vessels from cholesterol.
- In folk medicine, often with a sore throat, rinse with pineapple juice.
During a big feast or a hearty dinner (especially if there were fish and meat dishes, legumes, and sour-milk products), it is good to drink a glass of pineapple juice. Alternatively, you can replace the juice with a slice of fresh pineapple. So you can prevent a feeling of heaviness and “fullness” of the stomach, accelerate the absorption of protein foods.
- These tropical fruits make blood less viscous, lower blood pressure, and significantly increase immunity.
- Pineapples are excellent prevention of atherosclerosis. They have a beneficial effect on the intestines, they clean them well and restore the microflora, normalize the liver and pancreas.
- Thanks to serotonin, which is formed in the blood by the regular use of these fruits, a person feels full, which is important when losing weight.
- Since pineapples have an anti-edematous effect on the body, it is recommended to eat them for diseases of the cardiovascular and urinary system (especially if there are problems with the kidneys).
- Pineapples help remove deposits from the walls of blood vessels, clean them well, which is why these fruits are excellent prevention of myocardial infarction and strokes. They prevent the formation of blood clots and plaques on vascular machines. Varicose veins – contribute to the dissolution of fibrin plugs.
- If you regularly eat pineapple, you can anesthetize the body with severe joint and muscle pain. At the first sign of a cold, you need to actively drink a pineapple vitamin drink, preferably three glasses a day. To cook it, you need to grind 100 grams of fresh pineapple in a mixer, pour half a glass of homemade kvass into the resulting sweet gruel, add three drops of freshly squeezed lemon juice.
- Pineapples also well stop any inflammatory processes, contribute to wound healing. It is good to eat these tropical fruits in case of pancreatic insufficiency and manifestations of cellulite. Due to the high content of bromelain, this sweet fruit significantly increases the enzymatic activity of gastric juice.
- And pineapples remove toxins from the body and have a general strengthening effect. Tropical pineapple therapy is also useful in sunstroke, as one of the most effective adjuvants.
- Sweet fruits will help at the first signs of colds. Pineapples do a good job with ailments. Doctors especially recommend paying attention to pineapples to people who are over 40 years old. It is especially useful for them to feast on both fresh fruits of pineapples and freshly squeezed pineapple juice (it must be drunk in between main meals).
Pineapples are good prophylaxis against thrombosis and thrombophlebitis. These fruits must be present in the diet of hypertensive patients.
Today, many scientists are inclined to believe that highly concentrated pineapple enzymes help in the treatment of many cancers. It is scientifically confirmed that this fruit helps to bind free radicals, and, therefore, is an excellent prevention against possible oncology.
The use of pineapple in cosmetology
Every year, pineapples are increasingly used in cosmetology. They are part of many tonics and face creams, helping to prevent the formation of facial fat. In addition, pineapples are also famous for their excellent antibacterial properties.
With oily skin, you need to wipe the skin on the face and neck with sweet yellow pulp every night before going to bed. With regular procedures, in speed, the oily sheen will go away.
In traditional medicine, pineapples are used to remove corns. At night, you need to attach a little pulp of pineapple to the place of the corn, in the morning to steam the legs in hot baths – then the corn can be easily cut.
Today, one can often find toothpaste with pineapple extracts on store shelves. This paste guarantees more effective and thorough gum care.
Due to the high content of bromelain, pineapples have a rejuvenating and tonic effect, prevent skin aging. That is why today, on the basis of pineapple extracts, a large number of dietary supplements, homeopathic preparations, and teas are produced.
Also, thanks to bromelain, pineapples began to be used to remove subcutaneous deposits of cellulite and for enzymatic peeling. The anti-inflammatory and anti-edematous properties of this tropical fruit are successfully used in the production of cosmetic serums for delicate skin near the eyes.
Harm pineapples, contraindications to their use
After eating a large number of pineapples, you may experience swelling of the lips, the inside of the cheeks, and the tongue. As a rule, this reaction is caused by the fact that fresh pineapple contains organic acids.
These unpleasant consequences go away within a few hours. However, if the swelling is accompanied by a rash, hives, or shortness of breath, this may indicate an allergy. In this case, stop eating pineapple and consult a doctor immediately.
Extremely high doses of vitamin C can cause diarrhea, nausea, vomiting, abdominal pain, heartburn, headaches, and insomnia. Therefore, refrain from consuming pineapple if you are taking large doses of vitamin C.
An overdose of bromelain can lead to skin rash, vomiting, diarrhea, and severe menstrual bleeding in women. Large doses of this enzyme can also stimulate uterine contractions, which can lead to miscarriages in pregnant women.
Pineapple bromelain can potentially interact with some medications. Consult your doctor about eating pineapple if you are currently taking antibiotics, anticoagulants, anticonvulsants, barbiturates, benzodiazepines, blood thinners, insomnia medications, or tricyclic antidepressants.
Eating unripe fruits or juice from unripened pineapples can be extremely dangerous. This can cause severe vomiting and diarrhea.
There is not enough data on the safety and effectiveness of pineapple intake during childbearing and during lactation.
An absolute contraindication for eating pineapple is hypersensitivity to any of its components (whether it is baked pineapple, fresh or dried).
High acidity is also the reason that a large number of pineapples are harmful to tooth enamel.
In hot countries where pineapples are grown, and where these fruits are cheap, a large part of the population goes “without teeth”. Doctors tend to believe that this is due to the excessive consumption of pineapples.
Despite these precautions, the benefits of pineapple are an undeniable and scientifically proven fact.
Information is taken: https://superpolezno.com/ananas-polza-i-vred/.html