What is hummus? This is a mixture of mashed chickpeas, tahini paste and olive oil, generously seasoned with spices and seasonings! Hummus is a favorite dish of vegans and people who have refused meat! This wonderful product not only satisfies hunger perfectly, but is also an excellent source of vegetable protein and fiber!
Can hummus be on a healthy diet?
So, if your goal is to lose extra pounds and you are looking for a healthy snack, or just want to diversify your diet, then hummus will perfectly cope with this task. The most common question asked by adherents of dietary and proper nutrition – is it possible to eat hummus on a diet and does hummus help lose weight? Fortunately, the answers to these questions are yes! By including this product in your diet for weight loss, you will come much closer to your goal, and here’s why:
- Cellulose. Have you ever thought about how much fiber you consume? The average fiber intake is about 40 grams per day. But few people really get the right amount, because often the diet of an ordinary person is limited to slow carbohydrates. Hummus is an excellent source of fiber, which actively helps the body get rid of toxins and toxins. And this means that it must be present in your diet. And if you can’t eat mountains of green salads, then a snack with hummus is a great option. 100 grams of hummus contains 6 grams of fiber.
- Slow carbohydrates. This product really contains a lot of carbohydrates, but it should be noted right away that these are extremely slow carbohydrates, which are absorbed for a long time and provide the energy necessary for our body.
- Proteins. The process of losing weight is impossible without the inclusion of a sufficient amount of protein in your diet. That’s why hummus, which contains 8 grams of protein per 100 grams, will help you gain the daily intake of this nutrient.
Still not sure if hummus is necessary with proper nutrition and diet? In 2014, the international journal Food Sciences and Nutrition conducted a study in which it turned out that people who regularly include hummus in their diet:
- 53% were less prone to obesity and overweight.
- increased fiber intake by as much as 52%
- increased healthy fat intake by 13%
- reduced sugar intake by 20%
- began to eat more vegetables and fruits.
How many calories are in hummus?
If you stick to calorie counting, then of course you are interested in the calorie content and composition of this product. Immediately it should be noted that calorie content may vary depending on the manufacturer. Since chickpea is not the only ingredient in this recipe, the nutritional composition varies depending on how many other ingredients were used. When buying hummus, be sure to study calories and proteins/ fats/ carbs.
Hummus nutritional value / proteins/ fats/ carbs – 166/8/10/14 /, but these numbers may vary! You can meet hummus calorie content which will reach 230 calories, 330! Therefore, be very careful when calculating the nutritional value and be sure to read the labels!
How to store hummus
If you buy a ready-made product, the manufacturer will definitely indicate how much you can store a jar with already opened hummus. On average, this period is from 3 to 7 days.
How long is hummus stored in the refrigerator if you cook it yourself? The shelf life of such a hummus will be 7 days, but provided that you store it in a glass container with a tightly closed lid?
Can hummus be frozen? If you took the initiative and prepared hummus for the future, then you can, with a clear conscience, put it in the freezer for a whole month!
Dietary hummus – recipe
How to make this dish completely dietary? Catch the recipe.
200 grams of chickpea. We indicate the amount of dry product. Chickpeas need to soak overnight. Then boil until it becomes soft.
15 grams of flax seeds. Sauté them in a dry frying pan. This will give our hummus a nutty flavor.
1 tablespoon of lemon juice.
1 tablespoon of vegetable oil. We use olive oil.
Favorite spices and seasonings to your taste.
3 cloves of garlic
In a blender we mix absolutely all the ingredients, add a little water and whisk. It should have a thick, uniform consistency.
100 grams of this hummus contains only 136 calories, and proteins/ fats/ carbs is 6/4/19.
Want to further reduce calories? Then keep this simple recipe:
240 grams of dry chickpeas. Soak in water overnight, boil until tender.
1 teaspoon tahini paste.
100 grams of natural yogurt without sugar and other additives.
2 tablespoons of lemon juice.
½ teaspoon of salt
Any spices and seasonings to your taste. You can add zira and paprika.
Beat all the ingredients in a blender until a thick and homogeneous mass is obtained. 100 grams of this dietary hummus contains only 105 calories!
Now that you have prepared hummus, you want to know how to eat it? We have a ton of great options:
- hummus sandwich. On whole grain bread or cereal breads, we spread hummus with a thin layer, put greens on top.
- boiled eggs with hummus. Cut the boiled egg into two halves and spread the hummus on top.
- vegetables with hummus. We chop sticks cucumbers, carrots, celery stalks and dip them in hummus. This is the perfect diet beer snack!
- salad with hummus. It is not necessary to season the salad with mayonnaise or sour cream, if you can season it with dietary hummus!
- pasta with hummus. Instead of high-calorie creamy dressings, use hummus when serving pasta.
- cucumber rolls with hummus. Low-calorie snack, which will help to survive any feast. Just cut the cucumbers into thin strips, spread with hummus and curl.
- champignons with hummus. Instead of fat fillings for champignons, just use hummus. We fill the already baked champignon heads with hummus, put the greens on top.