Fasolada is one of the popular soups of Greek and Cypriot cuisines. This is probably the easiest dish to cook, which blends perfectly with fresh bread and olives. The main ingredients are very few – beans, carrots, celery, onions, tomatoes and olive oil. The Greeks call beans “caviar of the poor.” But even ceasing to be poor, the Greeks could not wean from their beloved fasolada. Very tasty, hearty and nutritious soup. And, of course, very useful!
white beans – 400 g
carrots – 2 pcs.
celery stalks – 2 pcs.
tomatoes – 2 pcs.
leek – 1 stalk 10 cm
red bell pepper – 1 pc.
olive oil – 5 tbsp
tomato paste – 1 tbsp
canned tomatoes in their own juice – 1 can 400 g
freshly ground black pepper
sugar – 1 tbsp
water – 2.5 l
onions (pickle for serving) – 1 pc.
lemon juice – 1 tbsp
- Soak the beans overnight in cold boiled water. Drain the water, rinse the beans. Pour 2.5 liters of water into the pan, put the beans and send to the fire. Allow to boil, remove the foam. Boil the first 10 minutes over high heat. Reduce heat and simmer until cooked.
- While the beans are boiling, prepare the vegetables. Peel the carrots and cut into rings.
- Cut bell pepper into large cubes.
- Cut celery.
- Rings cut leek (can be replaced with onion). And lightly stew in olive oil.
- Fresh tomatoes cut crosswise. Dip in boiling water for a few seconds. Then remove the peel and cut into half rings. Peel the tomatoes in their own juice, puree using an immersion blender. Add 1 tbsp. l tomato paste and fresh tomatoes.
- When the beans are almost cooked, start the celery and bell peppers. Let it boil. Add carrots and cook for 5-7 minutes. Then put the leek. Next is the tomato mixture.
- Only after this salt, add freshly ground black pepper, 1 tbsp. l sugar and dried herbs. Cook for another 7 minutes. Cover and let it brew for 15 minutes.
- Pickle the onions (optional). Peel, cut into rings. Put in a jar, add 2 tsp. sugar, 1 tbsp. l olive oil, lemon juice, salt. Cover, shake and marinate.
- Serve beans with pickled onions, fresh bread and olives. Enjoy your meal!