There are many options for this wonderful baked eggplant mash in the East. For example, in Turkey, instead of tahini add yogurt, and in the Caucasus – tomatoes and greens
1 kg of eggplants
3 tbsp. tahini
2 cloves of garlic
4 tbsp. olive oil
cilantro for filing
1/3 – 1/2 tsp ground hot red pepper
1 tsp salt
2 tbsp. lemon juice
- Preheat oven with grill to 175 ° C. Knock the eggplants with a fork, put them on a baking tray covered with parchment, and place them in a preheated oven under the grill. Bake the eggplants for about 40 minutes, turning them up one time in the middle of the cooking. Eggplants must be very soft
- Remove the pan from the oven. Eggplant cut in half lengthwise and cool.
- At this time, peel the garlic and place it in the blender bowl. Add tahini, lemon juice, salt, red pepper and olive oil. Stir until smooth.
- Using a spoon, scrape the eggplant pulp, if the seeds are large, remove them. Crush pulp in mashed potatoes and mix with dressing.
- Transfer the babaganush to a bowl, if necessary, add a little salt, lemon juice or chili. Sprinkle with olive oil and sprinkle with cilantro leaves. Serve babaganush with warm pita.
Babaganush is especially tasty if eggplant is baked on a fire. A slight smell of smoke emphasizes the taste of eggplant’s slightly sweetish pulp.