The beneficial properties of rice are known from ancient times. No one has yet figured out where rice came from and what country to consider its homeland. However, it is precisely known that this product got to Europe approximately in the 15th century. In different countries, rice is treated differently. In the East, for example, it is present daily in the diet. No wonder the wish to enjoy your meal in some oriental languages sounds like this: “Help yourself to rice!”. And the concept of “lunch” or “dinner” literally means “eating rice.”
The composition of rice cereals
Proteins – 6.5-7.7%
Fat – 1.2%
Carbohydrates – 72-75.3%
Minerals – Calcium, Potassium, Phosphorus, Magnesium, Iron, Sulfur, Sodium
Vitamins – Thiamine (B1), Riboflavin (B2), Pantothenic Acid (B5), Pyridoxine (B6), Niacin (PP), Choline, Vitamin E.
Amino acids – Lecithin, tryptophan, methionine, etc.
100 g of the product contains – 354 kcal
Rice diet for weight loss
It is known that rice has the ability to absorb and excrete harmful substances from the body – salts, slags. That is why rice is part of the diet of many diets for weight loss.
Boil 0.5 kg of rice and add fish, lean meat; vegetables or fruits. Since there are a lot of vegetables and fruits, the diet can be very diverse and never get bored.
- Only one rule – the total amount of all additives, taken together, should not exceed 200 grams per day.
- It is also allowed to eat up to 0.5 kg of fruit per day.
- It is desirable to drink unsweetened natural juices, especially juice from green apples, tea without sugar, water – simple or mineral, but without gas.
- You can repeat this diet no more than 1 time in 2 months.
- During the rice diet, take potassium supplements.
Today, more than 700 varieties of rice are known in the world. Moreover, nutritionists say that as a basis for nutrition, this product is ideal, as it is rich in nutrients and does not contribute to obesity.
It is subdivided into long-grain, round-grain and middle-grain. The aroma of the grain and color depend on the place of cultivation and the method of processing. For example, a famous aquatic variety becomes dark after drying in the sun. Brown rice has a shell, which contains many vitamins and minerals that give the grain a brown color.
Rice: Fiber and Waste
Rice is a rich source of fiber, which is not absorbed in the body, but effectively binds and removes intestinal poisons, endotoxins, xenobiotics, preventing them from being absorbed in the intestines.
Rice products are also used. So, from its peel they make bran, on the basis of which they produce grain mixtures, biscuits, bread and rice oil. Rice is also made from flour, starch.
Useful properties of rice
- Rice contains substances that have the ability to envelop the stomach, so it can be eaten by people with high acidity, as well as suffering from a gastric ulcer, gastritis.
- Rice helps with diarrhea.
- Rice bran consumption can reduce the risk of intestinal cancer.
- Rice contains lecithin, an activator of brain activity; intestinal restoring oligosaccharide; and gamma-aminobutyric acid, which helps stabilize blood pressure.
- Rice does not contain gluten, a vegetable protein that causes an allergic reaction in some people.
- Rice bran oil is extracted, which is used for the preparation of therapeutic ointments.
- Rice bran is used in the treatment of beriberi vitamin deficiency disease (damage to the nervous and cardiovascular systems with impaired blood circulation, tissue metabolism and function of the gastrointestinal tract).
- Rice bran is effective in treating gastrointestinal and cardiovascular disorders, as well as reducing the risk of intestinal cancer.
Rice grain broth
Take 1 tbsp. a spoonful of rice grain and a glass of water. Grain washed, dried, pour water, boil for 20 minutes, cool, strain. Take all the prepared decoction for diarrhea.
Rice bran infusion
Take 1 tbsp. a spoonful of rice bran, a glass of water. Bran pour boiling water, insist 30 minutes, drain. Take half a cup 3-4 times a day with vitamin B1.
Rice starch well softens irritation of the skin and mucous membranes and is used for enemas and powders (in the form of powder).
Take a teaspoon of rice, pour 3 cups of water, put on low heat and boil. Cool the resulting broth and give it to the patient in a warm form by a third of a cup every 2 hours. Before taking the broth pass through a gauze or sieve.
How to boil rice?
The following cooking tips will tell you how to boil rice properly:
There are many ways to cook rice. In any case, you need to follow some rules.
- Cooking utensils should be thick-walled (it is better not to use aluminum and enameled).
- Rice should not be mixed during cooking. From this product loses its shape and begins to fall apart,
- Stir the finished rice using a fork.
- Hot boiled rice is easy to diversify. To give it an Italian flavor, season the rice with garlic, basil and onion. For the taste of French cuisine, add rosemary, basil and onion. To give the Mexican flavor – oregano.
- Curry, yellow ginger, chopped onion or onion powder, a little garlic, butter or margarine, and saffron can be used to make the boiled rice appetizing yellow.
- Rice must be stored in a closed container or sealed package and always in a dry place. If moisture gets to the rice grains, they will spoil.
- Rice that has stood on the shelf for a year and a half retains all its taste and nutrients, but it needs to be cooked longer. And to make it, you need to use more water.
- White long grain rice (especially the varieties of “basmati” and “jasmine”) will become crumbly after cooking, if you soak it for 30 minutes before cooking it.
Simple recipes with rice
Rice has long been the basis of many popular dishes in the world. Most of us are familiar with Uzbek plov and Italian risotto. But the rice in Chinese tried a few.
To cook delicious rice in Chinese, we need:
- 3 cups friable boiled rice,
- 2 tbsp. spoons of sugar,
- 1 tbsp. spoon of beef tallow (or butter),
- 100 g of raisins, cut into slices of dates, nuts,
- salt to taste.
Boiled rice mixed with sugar, fat or butter. Put a layer of rice in a baking dish. Top spread out part of the dried fruit and nuts. Lightly pin down. Then put another layer of rice and a layer of dried fruit with nuts. The top layer should be rice. Soak in a water bath for half an hour. Let the dish cool and serve warm.
- A glass of rice, 0.5 liters of water,
- 2 tbsp. spoons of butter,
- 3 bananas,
- bunch of parsley,
- ground black pepper and salt to taste.
Boil rice in salted water without cooking. Drain the water, slightly dry the rice. Peel bananas, cut into slices 1-1.5 cm thick and fry in oil on both sides. Mix the banana slices carefully with the rice so that they do not lose their shape. Sprinkle with black pepper and finely chopped parsley before serving.
Risotto in Tomato Sauce
- 2 cups rice
- 2-3 art. spoons of ghee,
- 4 cups broth,
- half a cup of grated cheese
- tomato sauce and salt to taste.
Rice to sort, wash, dry with a napkin, put in a shallow pan with melted butter, stirring, fry until pinkish. Pour the broth and, without stirring, soak in a hot oven for 25 minutes. Then put on a greased form, sprinkle with grated cheese, warm in the oven for 10 minutes and put on a dish. Serve sprinkled with grated cheese and watering tomato sauce.
Pilaf with vegetables in Bulgarian
- 2 cups rice
- 0.5 liters of water
- 3 bulbs,
- 3 tbsp. spoons of vegetable oil
- 2 pods of sweet bell pepper,
- 4 tomatoes,
- salt to taste.
Fry the onion, chopped in half rings, and lightly fried in butter, add sweet peppers, thin slices, and washed and washed rice and tomato slices. Pour in water, salt, soak under the lid in a hot oven for 20-30 minutes (until ready) and, slightly cooled, serve to the table.