The back muscles are the second largest muscle group in the human body. Its height is extremely important for those who want to become larger. It is the development of the so-called wings that gives the male figure the much-desired V-shape. The gym has all the conditions for this, but not everyone has the opportunity to attend it.
The reasons for intensively training the back are much more than it might seem at first glance:
- A strong back is always a healthy spine, and therefore all body systems.
- Training this very large muscle group will allow you to burn a significant amount of subcutaneous fat and increase the total energy consumption of the body.
- Developed latissimus dorsi muscles form the very classic V-shaped silhouette of the figure, which is considered the reference for both men and women.
Basic principles of home workouts
- Classes should be held regularly 2 times a week. More often – it makes no sense: the muscle group will not have time to recover. Less is also not worth it – the results will not be able to feel.
- Exercises for training the muscles of the back should be performed in 3 sets – 12-15 repetitions each. Over time, when the ability to feel each involved and tense part of the body comes, we must proceed to the principle of work until “refusal” – that is, to carry out the approach until the last 1-2 repetitions have been done through “I cannot”.
- Warming up and articular warm-up are essential elements of training. Embarking on strength exercises, bypassing this stage, traumatic and impractical.
- Complexes of exercises for the back must be alternated from training to training in order to avoid muscle getting used to the nature and plane of the impact of the load.
- Each training should begin with 1-2 basic exercises (when they are performed, 2 or more joints are involved) and end with 1-2 isolating exercises (the muscle on which the emphasis is placed, solo works, 1 joint is involved).
How to pump up the muscles of the back?
You need to highlight a few points that directly affect the effectiveness of training:
Equipment. Each exercise is different, but knowing the functions of the muscles, a person will understand the essence of the movement and avoid many mistakes.
This moment also concerns the muscles of the back. The whole group can be divided into three parts: the lumbar region, the broadest (“wings”), and the trapezium.
The muscles of the lumbar and middle back straighten the spine. The Wings pull the arm back and twist it. A trapezoid brings the shoulder blades to the spinal column, raises and lowers them.
Proceeding from the functions, it can be understood that for pumping the broadest, the main condition of the technology is to bring elbows back. To train a trapezoid, you just shrug your shoulders in a vertical plane. And for training the lower back fit the slopes and extension for the lower back.
Load progression In order to steadily increase muscle volume and develop strength, it is necessary to systematically increase training stress.
Muscles will not grow if the working weight, number of approaches, and repetitions do not change. So try at each workout to do a little more than the previous one.
Keep a notebook and write into it all that concerns training. How many times tightened, with what weight, how long rested – it all matters.
In-home workouts, you can adjust the load with the pace of the exercise. For example, in pull-ups, spend three seconds on lifting and two on lowering. Also increase stress can be an additional repetition or reducing the rest time.
Recovery. Muscles do not grow in training but during rest. Your task is to provide the body with everything necessary for growth.
First of all, it concerns nutrition. If the goal is to gain weight, then the diet should consist of 40-50% of carbohydrates; 40–45% protein, and 5–10% fat. Eat complex carbohydrates: cereals, pasta from durum wheat. Sources of protein are meat from poultry, animals, and fish. Do not forget about vegetables.
Sleep at least 8-10 hours a day. This advice has already turned sour but has not become less important. In a dream, growth hormone is secreted, healing and strengthening of damaged muscles occur.
Exercises for the back at home
Unfortunately, exercising at home, you can use a limited set of exercises for the back. To perform them, you need a bar and a pair of collapsible dumbbells.
A classic exercise that works on the latissimus dorsi. At school, we were taught that the main thing – to pull up to the chin. This is not entirely true. To put in the work of “wings”, reach for the crossbar chest.
It does not matter how high you pull up, it is important to get your elbows back and close the shoulder blades. Therefore, even in a shortened amplitude, the back will work effectively.
Technique exercises. Hang on the horizontal bar and cross your legs. Reach in the lower back and on the exhale tighten up. Imagine that your hands end in elbows and you need to bring them behind your back. This approach will help keep the right technique of movement.
How to take the horizontal bar? The upper grip loads the back muscles more, and the lower one displaces the load on the biceps. Width is also important. The wider you take the crossbar, the more load will receive the “wings”, and already – the more you use your hands.
Tip: if you tighten your thumbs with the thumbs from the top while tightening, the biceps will steal less from the back.
For a back workout, use a medium grip, as too wide reduces the amplitude of the movement. Consequently, less time under load and less effective workout.
2. Thrust dumbbells with one hand in the slope.
It works out the broadest and uses the trapezius muscle. Allows you to train lagging areas of the back. To perform they need a bench or a low table.
Technique exercises. Hold the projectile with your left hand while standing on the left side of the table. Place your right knee on the tabletop and put your right hand on it. Bend down to the parallel with the floor, back straight, slightly arched at the waist.
Lower the left arm to the floor, keeping the position of the back. At the lowest point, feel how the broadest muscle stretches. After that, while inhaling, pull the dumbbell to your belt, trying to get your elbow as far as possible behind your back. Repeat this movement a given number of times and immediately proceed to the approach on the right side. It is important to avoid inertia, lower and pull the dumbbell evenly.
3. Dumbbell to the belt in the tilt with two hands.
The basic movement to train the middle and lower part of the “wings”. If we compare it with a barbell to a belt, then, by performing a movement with dumbbells, you can continue to get elbows and reduce the target muscles in a better way.
Technique exercises. Take a dumbbell in each hand, stand up straight. So that during the movement you do not falter, put your legs slightly wider than your shoulders. Lean forward to a 45-degree angle. Hands are pointing palms back, hands hanging down the line of the legs. While inhaling, simultaneously tighten the dumbbells to the lower abdomen, reducing the shoulder blades. Hold for a second and return to the starting position.
Just as in the previous exercise, control is important here. Do not jerk, pull dumbbells only at the expense of muscle strength.
4. Pull-up narrow grip – the basis for a deep study of the lower part of the broadest. They are performed similarly to classic pull-ups, with the only difference being that the palms are located on the crossbar much closer to each other – the tips of the thumbs should be touching.
5. Hyperextension at home will be an excellent insulating element for the end of the workout. This exercise can be performed without a special machine. To do this, fit a soft sofa or another dense surface, which will be comfortable to arrange the legs and pelvis. Objective: To allow the body to move freely up and down, and fix the legs. From this position, with palms on the back of your head, with your back arched, go down to the lowest point, and then lift your flat back as far as possible upwards without a break
Important nuances for those who want to achieve results quickly
- Do not neglect the stretch at the end of the workout – this not only contributes to the development of muscles but also minimizes the discomfort after exercise.
- Feeling that the usual load seems to be too easy, it is worth increasing it not at the expense of the number of repetitions in one approach, but at the expense of the available increase in working weight.
- Food quality plays one of the primary roles in the muscle-building process. The diet should be saturated with protein (30% of total calories), complex carbohydrates (50%), and “correct” fats from redfish, nuts, and vegetable oils (20%).
Now you know how to swing your back at home. A competent approach to training, unconditional regularity, and quite a bit of patience – and you will not notice how your back muscles will become strong and pumped up.