We spend a lot of money on various vitamins, looking for ways to improve immunity and the work of the body as a whole. And why do people very often fail to notice what mother nature itself has given them for these purposes? Honey – an amazing product of beekeeping, which serves as prevention and treatment of various diseases. In addition, this sweetness can be used by people with diabetes.
Honey is a sweet liquid obtained as a result of the processing of floral nectar by bees. The aroma, color, and taste of the finished honey depend on the plants from which nectar is collected. Light honey is considered more valuable.
Flower nectar is 80% water. After processing by bees, the water content decreases to 20%. Liquid from honey is evaporated as a result of drafts created in the hive. It is formed in the process of repeated strokes of bee wings. When honey reaches the desired consistency, the bees seal the honeycomb with wax.
How honey is mined
Hive honey is mined in two ways.
Method number 1
It consists of luling bees or smoking them out of hives with the help of smoke. After the honeycomb is removed, heated, and compressed. Honey flows down on them with beeswax. This honey may contain pollen and yeast.
Method number 2
It involves the use of rotating containers in which honey is pushed out of the honeycomb under the action of centrifugal force. Such honey does not contain impurities, since the honeycombs remain intact and can be reused by the bees.
Composition of honey
Caloric content of 100 grams of honey – 300 calories.
Depending on the plants from which nectar was collected, the composition of honey may vary. The number of items is approximate.
Vitamins in 100 gr. from daily rate:
- B2 – 2%;
- C – 1%;
- B6 – 1%;
- AT 11%.
Minerals in 100 gr. from daily rate:
- Manganese – 4%;
- Iron – 2%;
- Copper – 2%;
- Zinc – 1%;
- Potassium – 1% .4
The benefits of honey
Honey for many centuries has been used by people as a medicine.
Honey has a positive effect on the treatment of diabetes. By replacing them with sugar, you can reduce the risk of developing the disease.
Vitamin C in honey reduces the risk of coronary heart disease.
Regular use of natural honey normalizes blood pressure, reduces cholesterol levels, and helps to avoid blood clots in the vessels.
Antioxidants, which are rich in honey, have antidepressant and anticonvulsant effects. They normalize the central nervous system, improve memory and concentration.
Bee honey is used as a treatment for vision problems. Washing the eyes with honey slows down the development of cataracts.
Bee honey treats ophthalmologic diseases: conjunctivitis, blepharitis, keratitis, and corneal injuries. Local application of honey heals eye burns and burns, relieves redness, swelling and kills bacteria.
Natural honey is a natural cough remedy. Cough occurs as a result of lesions of the upper respiratory tract viruses and infections. Antioxidants in honey eliminate the causes of coughing and clean the lungs.
Honey relieves asthma and bronchitis. For this, you need to eat honey in small quantities.
Another area of application of honey in the treatment of diseases of the oral cavity. Honey eliminates the symptoms of stomatitis, halitosis, and gum disease. It is used to get rid of plaque, mouth ulcers, and gingivitis.
Honey is a natural and safe medicine to reduce the symptoms of diarrhea. It replenishes stores of potassium and water in the body.
Honey reduces the likelihood of acid from the stomach in the esophagus, the development of inflammation, acid reflux, and heartburn.
Bee honey prevents the formation of gastroenteritis, killing viruses in the intestines.
Drinking honey protects the pancreas and prevents blood sugar from dropping below 3.5 mmol / l.
Honey has a beneficial effect on the ability to conceive a child, normalizing hormone levels. Honey is useful for men, as it restores reproductive function, increasing the production of testosterone and hormones.
Honey eliminates the reproductive toxicity caused by smoking.
In the treatment of wounds and burns, honey is used on a par with medicines. The advantage is that it does not have such a number of side effects.
Honey heals wounds and accelerates the recovery of skin cells.
Honey helps to cope with acne. It kills bacteria that multiply in the pores and cause inflammatory processes and also removes excess sebum, which is food for bacteria and clogging the pores.
For the treatment of psoriasis, eczema, and dermatitis caused by the frequent use of diapers and wet wipes, it is recommended to use natural honey.
Honey has an antitumor effect on the body. The use of natural flower honey will help avoid the reproduction of cancer cells in the body and prevent cancer of the skin, cervix, liver, prostate and mammary glands, kidneys, and bladder.
Honey makes the body stronger, allowing it to more effectively fight infections and viruses.
Harm and contraindications of honey
Despite the benefits of honey for the body, from its use should refrain:
- newborns up to 1 year;
- people who are allergic to honey.
The use of honey by young children can cause botulism – food poisoning.
The harm of honey may be due to its excessive use. It manifests itself in the form of dehydration, an increase in the level of glucose, and food poisoning.
Honey is absorbed by the body at 100%, without loading the kidneys.
You can not fall asleep for a long time – 30-40 minutes before bedtime, drink 1 glass of warm milk or water with 1 tablespoon of honey.
With oral diseases
Inflammation of the mucous membrane will remove the natural honey and chamomile rinse.
- Take 1-2 tablespoons of dried chamomile flowers and pour 400 ml of boiling water.
2. Heat 10-15 minutes in a water bath.
3. In the filtered and cooled broth, add 1-2 teaspoons of honey and rinse several times a day.
In cardiovascular diseases
With atherosclerosis will help recipes based on honey.
- Rub 1 cup of horseradish and leave for 1.5 days.
3. Mix and take the mixture 40-60 minutes before meals 2 times a day. The course is 1.5 months.
With a prolonged cough, a remedy with butter will help.
- Mix 100 gr. honey, lard, butter, cocoa, and 15 g. aloe juice
2. Heat but do not boil.
3. Add 1 tbsp. mix in 1 glass of milk and take in the mornings and evenings.
With heavy uterine bleeding and painful menstruation
Prepare a tincture of chamomile flowers with the addition of leaves and rhizomes:
- Take 1 tbsp. listed herbs and pour 2 cups boiling water.
2. Cook in a water bath for 30 minutes.
3. Strain and cool the broth.
4. Add 2 spoons of honey and take 200 ml. 2 times a day.
How to choose honey
A dishonest manufacturer has accelerated the process of creating and releasing a product for which no bees, beehives, and plants are needed. A fake is boiled from sugar, glucose and citric acid, watermelon, or melon juice. In honey can add flour, molasses, or glue. The benefits of such a product are questionable.
- Fake and diluted products will give fluidity. “Wrap” honey on a spoon and lift it up: a fake will drain quickly, with splashes, spreading. This honey flows slowly, thick thread does not spread and forms a “hill”.
- Feel the scent: it should be flower herbal.
- Do not pay attention to the color – natural honey can be both light and dark in color.
- Taste it: the real has no caramel flavor, causes a sore throat, and a slight burning sensation on the tongue due to glucose.
- Rub a drop between your fingers: soaked into the skin – in front of you is a quality product; rolled into a ball – a fake.
- Counterfeit may have sediment, turbidity, and impurities. But this is not always the case.
- Don’t be scared of sugary consistency. Natural crystallizes in 1-2 months after collection.
The following experiments will help establish the naturalness of the product:
- dissolve honey in water and add a few drops of iodine: the solution turns blue – the product contains starch or flour;
- place a piece of bread in the product: the bread has become firm – natural;
- soften – contains a lot of sugar;
- put it on the paper: the fake will spread;
- dip the red-hot wire into the honey – the natural one will not stick to the metal.
How to store honey
The best place to store honey will be a cabinet protected from direct sunlight. Too high and low temperatures can harm the composition and consistency of honey.
The optimum temperature for honey is from 10 to 20 ° C.
For long-term storage, a temperature below 5 ° C is suitable, at which honey does not crystallize.
Only fresh product is useful. The healing properties of honey save only 1 year. It may lose its benefit earlier if stored improperly.
- “Keep” honey in a dark place and in a glass container;
- Do not store in iron, tin, galvanized, and aluminum cans – this may cause oxidation;
- honey is hygroscopic, therefore at high humidity it will transfer up to 30% of moisture;
- The product absorbs aromas, so do not store near-smelling products.
What to do if honey candied
This honey can be sugar in 3-4 weeks. The exceptions are acacia and spawning honey, which remain liquid for 1 year.
The candied product does not lose its healing properties and it is possible to return the liquid consistency. To do this, heat the honey in a water bath to 40 ° C. Do not increase the temperature, otherwise valuable substances will “evaporate”.
Honey is a universal remedy that has a positive effect on the body. It is used in cooking, cosmetology, and medicine, and is also a useful and tasty sugar substitute. Honey makes a healthy and tasty honey cake.
Eat in the morning one teaspoon of honey on an empty stomach and one daily before bedtime. You can also replace them with sugar in the tea. Just do not add it to the drink, but just eat it. After all, the temperature above 60 degrees kills in honey all the beneficial properties. You can also increase the antiviral properties of honey several times by adding garlic to it. Prepare a wonderful remedy by adding 3–4 small heads of garlic, previously chopped, into 500 ml of honey.