Jump rope – this is a simple and extremely compact simulator, familiar to us from early childhood. It does not require a large space for installation and use, as opposed to large-sized complexes for sports. And, despite its low price, the rope is able to faithfully serve you for many years. She will be a great helper in building a beautiful figure and will not require regular “feeding” with money, unlike a fitness club.
In America, jumping rope is called skipping. It is noteworthy that in the 1980s, skipping in a number of countries was considered an independent sport, and for its followers, their own sports federations were even formed, which still operate to this day.
This simple sports equipment, which in childhood served us more as entertainment, than as a way to put your body in order, engages various muscle groups and develops a number of skills simultaneously. Even professional athletes systematically use a jump rope during their workouts in order to keep themselves in good shape. Jump rope is a guaranteed much more effective, pleasant and useful method for combating extra pounds and centimeters than exhausting diets.
How to choose a rope?
The first and most important parameter of the rope is its length. Putting the legs in the middle of the rope cord, you should reach her arms up to the armpits or slightly higher. Not suitable for the length of the rope will bring in your workout a lot of inconveniences.
Also, pay attention to the type of rope:
1) Simple. This type of rope is the most common for regular workouts. Cords for simple skipping ropes are made of rope, plastic, or rubber. The length of such products in most cases is not adjustable. Simple skipping ropes are the cheapest, so it is probably worth starting with classes.
2) Speed. Special bearings are mounted on the handles of this model, due to which the number of jumps that can be performed per minute using the product increases significantly. The length of the speed rope is usually adjustable. Its use allows you to increase the load, and also plays for the benefit of those who want to lose weight. For training with a speed model, you need to have some experience in jumping with a skipping rope, because otherwise, it can be very painful to hit the back and legs with a loss of concentration and balance.
3) Weighted. In such a rope, the weight of the cord or handles, or both, increases simultaneously. For the manufacture of products are used as special materials, and removable weighting, which, if desired, can be obtained. The weighted rope provides a more intense load on the upper body. To deal with it without proper training will be quite difficult.
4) With a built-in counter. The mechanical counter counts only the number of turns of the cord, and the electronic one also calculates the number of calories burned, as well as the duration of the session and other parameters. The length of the rope with a built-in counter is usually not adjustable. Such a product is more expensive than a number of other types of skipping ropes but much cheaper than more complex simulators.
How much to jump rope to lose weight?
In order to lose weight, you must jump regularly. It is better in a day that the body has time to recover, but at least twice a week.
The minimum time of the first workout can be 10-15 minutes, with increasing fitness it can be increased to half an hour or 45 minutes. That is quite enough.
You should be ready that after the first workouts the muscles of the legs, abdominals, thighs, buttocks may begin to hurt. But after the body gets used and is involved, it will begin to get rid of toxins and slags exiting with sweat.
You should not strive to reach the recommended duration in the first classes, it is too big a load. If you have shortness of breath, you need to take a break or reduce the pace.
On the other hand, if you take care of yourself too much, then you will lose weight very quickly in the stomach and on the thighs while jumping, and progress will be extremely slow.
Fifteen minutes to burn about 250 calories.
- you need to start jumping with a small intensity of sports movements to warm up the necessary muscle groups;
- the back should be straight, the gaze should be on the window or on the wall;
- *correctly rotate the rope with one wrist, elbows should be located as close as possible to the body;
- *during classes it is better to open the window or engage on the balcony if space permits.
How to lose weight on the stomach and thighs while performing jumping rope?
- Simple jumps: rotating the rope and bouncing on the toes, try to land on the toes, spring your knees. On one jump, you must perform a single rotation.
- Change of legs: jump, alternately lifting one or the other bent leg at the knee. *Double jump: on each turn, have time to make two jumps. The pace should be low, this is a great opportunity to restore breathing.
- Jumping to the side: jump and move to the left, on the next rotation – to the right, returning to the starting position.
- Jumps back and forth: jump up and forward, on the next rotation go back.
- Jump alternately 10 times on each leg.
Initially, you do not need to give a significant load, let the body be drawn into the sport mode. Each exercise is performed in a minute or two.
The benefits of jumping rope
In addition, such cardio training with medium intensity is very useful for the cardiovascular system, since it helps to normalize blood pressure and exercise a uniform breathing rhythm. Working with a moderately increased heart rate (about 120 beats per minute) makes your heart muscle stronger and stronger. It becomes much easier for her to cope with the entire volume of workload during training.
Harm and contraindications
However, not all athletes jumping rope and bring only one benefit. Excessive stress, aimed at the development of endurance, can damage the cardiovascular system. This is a maximum and submaximal load. With this style of training, the heart rate exceeds all acceptable values, and there can be no talk of any health benefits here.
Especially careful should be athletes with heart disease, for example, coronary heart disease, congenital or acquired disease, arrhythmia, arterial hypertension.
With such diseases, the entire training schedule should be based on the recommendations of a specialist. Without proper control from the outside, you can easily harm your health, so be careful when using a jumping rope.
In addition to persons who have problems with the cardiovascular system, jumping rope is not recommended for athletes who have somehow injured joints and ligaments of the knees, feet, or ankle. For example, do not lean on this exercise, if you had, for example, a sprain of the knee or a fracture of the metatarsal bones – this is fraught with pain, and in some cases recurrence of injury.
Do not recommend active jump athletes with varicose veins. In general, varicose veins are an occupational disease in gym visitors. Often his focus is the calf muscles. And the main load during jumps with a rope falls on them.
What muscles work?
As such, the dynamic load in the jumps is small. Muscles do not have time to completely reduce and stretch, as the work goes at a fast pace, for each jump immediately comes next.
Work with jumping rope is carried out by these muscles:
- calf muscles;
- hip biceps.
Indirectly, the load also falls on the buttocks and the abdominal muscles. Also, a small load falls on the biceps, forearms, and small muscles of the hands, because during jumps we scroll the rope with our hands. The stabilizers in jumping rope are the extensors of the spine – at the expense of them, we keep balance.
Shoulders and forearms should be almost static – don`t put the main work falls on the hand. And the example is exactly the opposite. As a result – low speed and efficiency in general.
The results of training with a rope
As we have said, energy consumption during training with a rope is phenomenal. If we consider that for a smooth, smooth weight loss, a deficit of 250-350 calories per day is sufficient, then regular jumping with a rope will not let you go hungry too much during weight loss. Enough regular training. In the diet, you can not make any special changes – consume only the amount of nutrients that are needed to maintain weight. For women, you should consume about 1600-1800 calories, for men – 2200-2400. This is your approximate norm for maintaining weight (excluding the calories spent on training).
Fat loss while maintaining muscle mass
One gram of fat contains about 9 calories. By simple calculations, we calculate that in order to get rid of one kilogram of excess fat (fat, not muscle), you need to spend 9000 calories. It is quite possible to create such a deficit by choosing jumps on a rope with its main physical exertion. In this situation, you can easily lose 1-1.5 kg of weight per week. Only fat will be consumed, loss in muscle mass will be minimal.
Anaerobic endurance development
Another obvious advantage of using jumping rope is the development of anaerobic endurance. This is a key skill for any CrossFit athlete. Without anaerobic endurance, you will not be able to show a decent result in any more or less advanced complex – you may have enough strength for this, but the absence of well-established proper breathing will not allow you to keep within minimum time.
In the crossfire rarely wins the one who is just stronger. Here you need a comprehensive development of the body. That is why, both amateurs and professionals, it makes sense to do a separate cardio workout during the week. As part of it, we do not perform any functional complexes. We do only cardio. And if your goal is serious results in a CrossFit, then it is best to choose a jump rope for this workout.
Training should not be too hard, working at an average pace. Duration – 60-90 minutes. Among other things, this is a great way to get some rest from hard training with weights and relieve the psyche.